Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Ok yes I know... it's been two years since I last posted on here. What can I say? I've been busy. And somehow blogging just hasn't been very high on my to-do list. (that and I keep forgetting to do it) They say it takes 40 days to create a habit (or is it three weeks? I can't remember...not to mention I still haven't figured out who the "they" is...) Either way if I did it more often it would become more of a 'thing' for me to do. So here I am.
I've just worked on Thanksgiving day. Again. For the 5th year in a row. It still stings. It's been my favorite holiday for the whole of my life. And yet I love in a country where they just don't seem to celebrate it. Something about not having Pilgrims and Indians and an exchange of maize and beef jerky. (did beef jerky get traded at the inaugural Thanksgiving feast?) I have received the "is it really a public holiday?" question more times that I can count. Not to mention the "they really don't celebrate it over there?" question from a few curious cats across the blue tepid pool but I won't mention any names (er..ahem... goob).
The redemption here is: I have found the perfect solution. Find a few people (origins unbiased) who are interested in celebrating this wonderful holiday and just go for it! Get the turkey. Get the ham. Get your Mama's dressing recipe and get cooking! I salivate just thinking about it. I dream about swimming in a vat of sweet potatoes and diving face first in a freshly baked pumpkin pie. I guess I'll have to make two of each then... dont' want to gross out the guests who have so delightedly shown up for the eats and treats.
And then of course there are the left overs. Ahhh the left overs. Thanksgiving is not Thanksgiving without the left overs. The next day's turkey sandwich with heated up dressing and a layer of mashed potatoes...with a few peas on top just to get the greens in. It is the left overs that leave me with the largest conundrum of my year. Do I offer the delighted guests a dish full of left overs or do I quickly container everything up and hide in the fridge before they even know what they just missed out on?

No comments:

Post a Comment