Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Money Money Money Money.... MONAY!

So there I was looking at my 5 different lots of numbers and was convinced that I, and I alone, would be the sole winner (well me and Rohan anyway) of the 90 million dollar lottery they drew for on Tuesday night. I cannot begin to describe the mortification I felt when the numbers came up and I, having already spent most of that 90 million in my head, found that not only would I not have any part in the big 90 million draw, but that I also would have no part in any of the divisions winning lesser amounts. The agony. The sheer horror that I would have to get up early in the morning, yet again, and go to work, yet again. I was beside myself. I was devastated. Why the injustice?
And so in this, my inaugural "Life Givings" blog I'd like reach out to my fellow blue collar friends and public at large and ask: What is it about free money that makes a sane person go crazy?
I never yearned for 90 million dollars. I never thought I'd be one to make my first million before I was 25. I never had high aspirations. Just a quiet and contented life is all I ever asked for. I've not asked for more than what I've been dealt, and have been quite happy to live as is.
So why, when the carrot was dangled, did I fall victim to the lure that is the lotto? Why was I so surprised that I, among millions of others, didn't win that money? Why did I feel such vile hatred for the two people that did win?
I have thought long and hard about this, I have mulled it over, I have perused the dark corridors in the inner sanctum of my brain and have come to this conclusion: I succombed to (and now using a term my sweet mother so often spouts) "pure-dee-oh greed".
I got greedy. I had myself living the lap of luxury with a silver spoon dangling from my lazy lips. I had myself swinging in a hammock under the sweet Texan sun sipping on a tall glass of iced tea. I had investments submitted and interest sums of over 2.5 million that I'd budgeted to live on yearly.
And it's all gone up in smoke. I feel bereft of any excitement for this job that I loved only days ago. My contempt for traffic is at an all time high. I have let depression set in and I'm not likely to get out of this fog for a while.

2 comments:

  1. show me the money! (what movie is that line from?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LIIIIIKE! the inside of Mandy's brain. Wish you were here to tell me in person, but this is an awesome second. Glad you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete